Compression molding is the original method of molding rubber. It's ideal for low to medium production runs and is a useful process for molding gaskets, seals and large, bulky parts. Compression molding is a widely used, efficient and cost-effective production method for many products. It's particularly useful for low production runs of medium to large parts and higher cost materials.
Compression molding involves taking a rubber compound or mixed raw materials and making "pre-forms" that are close to the shape of the end product. These shapes are then loaded by hand into an open mold. The mold is closed, the rubber cured and then de-molded.
Compression molding can be cost effective if one or more of the following is true:
- Compression molding tooling already exists
- The quantity required is low
- The cross-section of the part is very large and requires a long cure time
- It has a Rubber Adhesion to Substrates application
- Extreme material hardness is required
- Larger Parts required - Our Molding Plate sizes range from 12" x 12" to 42" x 42"